Carl Hudkins wrote:

On Sun July 31 2005 15:16, Mike S wrote:

I have used now 3 different distributions, ubuntu, debian, and now
gentoo, and in all of them the same thing has happened, whenever I try
to play a dvd my screen gets a yellowish tint, my teminals that may be
open get distoted colors, (usually red) for the text in them, and it
won't play.  Has anyone gotten this to work?

What color depth are you running X in? I recall having severe problems playing any sort of video in 24-bit color, so then I changed to 16-bit and I have no problems. I do notice that when playing most videos the colors of my desktop background get messed up, but I consider that a trivial problem and ignore it. (In a couple of hours the background changes, anyway.)

If you run "xine --verbose dvd://" in a command window, do you get any helpful information about what it's doing or where it quits?

xine doesn't quit, totem does, but xine doesn't, xine just plays a blank screen. I think I am in 24-bit depth and I will look into changing that.
Thanks a bunch.

--Mike S