On Tue, 3 Nov 2015, Kevin Zhao wrote:

Hi Brian & all,
     Now I have successfully made livecd-stage1, compiled some packages
such as app-misc/livecd-tools. After that , I'm working on building gentoo
livecd-stage2 for ppc64le. Now I have a problem and needs your help :-)

     In the file: catalyst/examples/livecd-stage2_template.spec , I see "The
cdtar is essentially the bootloader for the CD.  It also holds the
main configuration
for the bootloader".

We've been talking about how to improve this as we're basically using a binary in the catalyst package to build the CD instead of building it from source.

Also I see in the releng/
releases/weekly/specs/ppc/ppc64/installcd-stage2-minimal.spec , in the the
livecd/cdtar is yaboot,but yaboot  has not been used in ppc64le . *Now the
bootloader of ppc64le iso is almost Grub*. I have a  problem:
      When I decompressed
the catalyst/livecd/cdtar/grub-memtest86+-cdtar.tar.bz2 , get the
consequence:
         boot/
         boot/grub/
         boot/grub/stage2_eltorito
         boot/memtest86
The grub is the binary . So If I want to use the grub , how could I build
from the grub source files and replace the grub here? What are the
essential files of grub used here?
      Really Appreciate for your help ~ Big Big Big thanks ~

I can share with you some scripts I've used to build the cdtar for myself[1].
IIRC, I've used it to update the cdtar in catalyst sometime ago.
These have quite a few hardcoded paths, make a few assumptions and are meant for building the cdtar for x86 / amd64, but they might be able to give you some ideas.

 [1] - http://www.jmbsvicetto.name/build-cdtar.tar.xz

Best Regards ,
Kevin

Regards,