On 7/7/2011 4:59 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM, kashani<kashani-l...@badapple.net>  wrote:
On 7/7/2011 2:50 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:

The idea:

Assuming I can't do anything about how Postfix handles the
Delivered-To header, I'd like to insert a new header entry
hits the catchall forward, so I can know to whom the email was
originally addressed... but i don't really know where to begin.

The question:

Are there any postfix gurus out there who can point me in the right
direction? Thanks in advance for any tips or advice (or if you want to
tell me that I'm doing it all wrong).

It should already be there at least in 2.7.4 which is stable unless you've
really tweaked your main.cf. I'd run a postconf | grep enable_orig and see
if it's not set to yes.

kashani

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

enable_original_recipient (default: yes)

    Enable support for the X-Original-To message header. This header is
needed for multi-recipient mailboxes.

Hi kashani,

I actually read about that option when I was trying to make this
happen (forgot about it when composing my original message). Googling
that option I found that most people were interested in combining
multi-recipient messages to one on disk (to save space). Indeed the
option is already set to "yes" on my setup, but I still don't get that
header. I supposed that it has nothing to do with the address I'm
interested in (from the envelope) and instead is looking at the To:
name from headers (which is unchanged). Or because my message does not
have multiple recipients. But maybe I'm completely misunderstanding
what it's all about.

I think I've got it figured out and this is your culprit.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Mail_server_using_Postfix_and_Dovecot#Dovecot_Integration_-_LDA

This is because Postfix adds the x-original-to when it delivers, but not when it passes the mail via lmtp to Dovecot. See this Dovecot thread for some details.

http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2011-January/056787.html

The primary benefits of Dovecot LDA seem to be cache files and Sieve.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Indexing
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve

If you aren't using Sieve, I would try is using virtual_transport = virtual instead of virtual_transport = dovecot

You might need to change some settings in your Dovecot config to match where Postfix will deliver the emails, specifically mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/%d/%n/Maildir/:INDEX=/var/mail/%d/%n/indexes

This are the settings I use for Postfix w/ Courier. Should work with Dovecot, but again you might need to change things a bit.

# virtual stuff
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
virtual_gid_maps = static:207
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/
virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_domains_maps.cf
virtual_mailbox_limit = 512400000
virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_mailbox_maps.cf
virtual_minimum_uid = 207
virtual_transport = virtual
virtual_uid_maps = static:207

kashani