On Nov 29, 2011 9:10 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:

> On Tue, November 29, 2011 2:36 pm, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> > On Nov 29, 2011 8:25 PM, "Vinícius Ferrão"
> > <viniciusfer...@cc.if.ufrj.br>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Agreed.
> >>
> >> Filtering Windows executables will only make the system admin to be
> > recognized as an asshole and windows-hater.

> > via
> >> >

> > With my current setup, I already block .exe, .pif, .com, .lnk, .scr, and
> > their ilks.
> >
> > But I do allow .zip and .rar, though.
>
> Do you have a good reason to block on extensions?
> Virus-scanners work quite nicely already and are not fooled by changing
> the extensions.
>
> I have received viruses where the email contained instructions to change
> the extension to .exe. Filtering on extension will not stop those.

Because some other mail servers reject those files, and my lusers are too,
uh, intelligence-challenged to understand the simple error message returned
by the receiving server. Some are even so brain-dead to totally ignore any
server error message.

So, I outright block those attachments. Now, offending emails got rejected
during SMTP submission, and the lusers have to take action instead of
ignoring the issue.

Rgds,