We use xtrabackup from percona, with tar to generate backup of the
running mysql servers in a fraction of the time it would take to use
mysqldump. Restoration is than just a case of copy the uncompressed
tarball into place and starting mysql.

It's a pain when it comes to restoring individual tables, but for a
full system backup it's fast and easy.

RobbieAB.