While we are talking about portage; reciently I have needed to downgrade KDE.

I had KDE3.0.5a already installed as well as KDE3.1  - it would be nice to be
able to specify a version for an upgrade or recompile just like you can with
--clean.

Therefore,

emerge <=kde3.0 would find KDE3.0.5a and emerge that while leaving KDE3.1
alone.

Currently if for example KDE3.0.5a was already installed you can do a:
emerge -u kde-base/kde-3.0.5a.ebuild
However, this will not recompile everything associated with KDE3.0.5a - all it
will do is run this ebuild.  What would be nice is an option that would run
emerge and recompile everything even if it is already installed  eg..

emerge -R --deep =kde-3.0.5a

and it would run through the whole process of compiling everything again even
if it is already installed.

Adrian