I have installed from a RCl1.4 CDrom on a PentiumIII and have followed all
of the instructions carefully (or so I thought).  I have obviously missed
something as now the system will not boot from the hard drive.  I get no
grub prompt, nothing but a cursor blinking at the top left of the screen.

My grub.conf file:
default 0
timeout 30
splash=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Steve's Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage root=/dev/hda3

I set up grub by running the command root (hd0,0) and setup.

I compiled a kernel and copied it to the /boot partition.  I even tried
hanging the path in grub.conf to remove the /boot from the paths.  I don't
know what to try next.

Any help appreciated.

Steve White