I heard Alexander Futasz said:

> > That sound chip does indeed not seem to support hardware PCM
> > mixing, which would allow several sounds to be played at the same
> > time, so the mixing has to be done in software.
>
> Are you sure?

Nope. :)
I just don't think I remember it working in Windows, but that was about
a year ago, so... :p

> Maybe it's just not supported by alsa, because i never
> had problems like that with Windows 2000, which i used on this box
> before Gentoo. In Windows 2000 it mixed several sounds and played
> them at the same time.

In KDE too -- maybe W2k uses a software mixer as well? Or maybe it's
indeed an ALSA problem, which is totally possible. I'm sure one of our
knowledgeable people here will be able to enlighten us. :)

-- S.