On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 06:46  am, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:

> I started with stage 1, emerged through stage 3 and then merged
> mirrorselect.
>  I did mirrorselect -i and got errors about regular expression and
> then found
> my make.conf had Gentomirrors= followed by a bunch of ascii codes that
>  are
> used to control the console colors, etc.  There was no mirrors listed.
>
>  Has anyone else had problems with it?

I had the same problem - the developer who does Mirrorselect is aware of
the issue. Reportedly it is only a problem when run from the LiveCD.

To workaround, delete those ASCII codes from the end of your make.conf &
add the Mirrors in manually. You should find something like the below
suitable:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] stroller $ grep MIRROR /etc/make.conf
# Portage uses GENTOO_MIRRORS to specify mirrors to use for source retrieval.
#GENTOO_MIRRORS="<your_mirror_here> http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo";
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/www.ibiblio.org/gentoo/
http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/gentoo/ http://gentoo.linux.no/
http://ftp.tu-clausthal.de/pub/linux/gentoo/
http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/
ftp://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/
ftp://ftp.rez-gif.supelec.fr/pub/Linux/distrib/gentoo/
http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo";
[EMAIL PROTECTED] stroller $

I tend to keep the first line handy for uncommenting, in case the European
mirrors are slow in propagating updates.

HTH,

Stroller.