I just installed Gentoo 1.4rc2 (stage3 + GRP from the AthlonXP iso) on
a machine with a Gigabyte GA-7VAX motherboard.  The board has a RealTek
RTL8100BL ethernet chip.  When I'm running off the install CD, I can
type "modprobe 8139too" to bring up eth0 (and then use net-setup to
connect to the net).  After I install Gentoo to the hard disk, eth0 will
not come up.  Running "modprobe 8139too" has no effect (i.e. /dev/eth0
still does not exist).  I have tried compiling ethernet statically, and
as a module.  When compiled as a module, I put "8139too" in
/etc/modules.autoload.

These are the options I compiled into the kernel:
RealTek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
  Support for uncommon RTL-8139 rev. K
  Support for older RTL-8129/8130 boards

These are two of my boot messages:
* Failed to load 8139too        [!!]
* Failed to bring eth0 up       [!!]

Here is part of "/var/log/everything/log-2003-03-18-03:38:54:
[kernel] eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based auto negotiated partner
ability 45e1
[kernel] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 transmit timed out
[dhcpd] timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response
[rc-scripts] Failed to bring eth0 up

The machine is connected to a 4 port 10/100 broadband router (OvisLink
SR-500).  Do I need to fix something in my kernel configuration?  What
do I need to do to fix this problem?  Thanks.

                        -Brian Doob