On Monday 17 March 2003 23:36, Robert Cole wrote:

> What else is telling the init system that it's started? I can't find
> anything in the /etc/init.d/snort script that will point me to anything
> other than that pid file.

        Run almost any script from /etc/init.d/ with no arguments and you should
see this among the usage help:

 zap
   Reset a service that is currently stopped, but still marked as started,
   to the stopped state.  Basically for killing zombie services.

        So, "/etc/init.d/snort zap" should get it *really* stopped, as far as the
system is concerned; then a normal "start" should work.

Good luck,

--
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//