On Friday 21 March 2003 10:26 am, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I was thinking of installing Gentoo on my maching starting this
> afternoon.  My machine in a PII400 with 512M RAM, ATI All-inWonder
> 128 video, CD-RW, 48X CD, Iiyama 450.  Would it be realistic if I
> started install (my first Gentoo install - currently dual-booting
> WinXP and Libranet 2.7) at stage 1 this afternoon, that I could have
> a functioning (KDE, email, browser) up and running by tomorrow
> sometime?  If so, I'll probably give it a try.
>
> Thanks.

You COULD install from the GRP CD images. That should get you up and
running in the time frame you're talking about. The disadvantage is
that you will be loosing a lot of the individual optomizations that
make Gentoo special. With the GRP precompiled binaries, you can install
an X server and KDE in minutes instead of days but it is likely that an
emerge -u world will take quite a while (24 hours perhaps) but at least
the machine will be usable durring that time.
        Somebody that has installed from GRP should jump in here and correct me
if I'm wrong....
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free