I have 2 Gentoo boxes here and I'm having a heck of a time getting Mass
Storage running on #2 AthlonXP 2100+ on an nforce2 based mobo) At this
point, I haven't autoloaded usb printer and mass storage modules, but
modprobe them after boot.
See the end of dmesg below:

Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 1 proto 2
vid 0x03F0 pid 0x1204
printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver

The printer did work before updating KDE and I've unmerged and
re-emerged cups and gimp-print-cups and hpijs Still no printing. I only
mention this as it may be related to my main problem.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ernie $ /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
nvidia               1466016  10 (autoclean)
printer                 6592   0 (unused)
usb-storage            33616   0 (unused)
lp                      5600   0 (autoclean) (unused)
nvnet                  26112   2 (autoclean)
nvaudio                23048   1
soundcore               3524   2 [nvaudio]
ac97_codec              9448   0 [nvaudio]

I think both should work...
USB related lines from .config:

# USB support
#
CONFIG_USB=y
# CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
# CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
# CONFIG_USB_LONG_TIMEOUT is not set
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
# CONFIG_USB_UHCI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT is not set
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
# CONFIG_USB_AUDIO is not set
# CONFIG_USB_EMI26 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH is not set
# CONFIG_USB_MIDI is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB is not set
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM is not set
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200 is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM=y
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_HP8200e is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR55=y
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT is not set
# CONFIG_USB_ACM is not set
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
# CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT is not set
CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV=y

(everything below is commented)

demesg shows these aditional lines if I unplug the USB card reader and
plug it back in:

hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-2, assigned address 5
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usb.c: USB device not responding, giving up (error=-110)
hub.c: new USB device 00:02.0-2, assigned address 6
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=6 (error=-110)

Can someone give me a hand here?

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free