On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 23:25, Norberto BENSA wrote:

> > > I never understood that. Why 100MB? How many kernels do you have in
> > > /boot?? My  /boot is only 8MB, enough to hold 3 or 4 kernels and grub.
> >
> > A /boot is reccomended and is
> > good practice, but is not required - especially not at 100MB.  Unless you
> > keep three or four kernels _and_ sources there :)
>
> That's exactly my point, I think 100MB is just too much.

First of all, my words have been taken too literally.  Secondly, there
have to be a recommendations when proposing installation instructions in
documentation.  There is no correct way.  The issue here is that this
advice in the docs allocates sufficient space and at the same prevents
corruption by keeping it separate.  Bend it as you wish.

As for why it is 100MB it is not so much because of necessity as in
proportion to the modern day capacity and value of hard drive space.
Also, it accomodates for future use and for worst case scenarios.  As
I've begun to try and compare several different kernels I've had no need
to resize /boot.