On Wednesday 11 June 2003 18:53, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> What is the reason for wanting a user to be in the "portage" group? Are you
> aware that anyone in that group can gain root access quite easily?

The reason is that I don't want to see those red-colored lines  that always
pop out if I issue some emerge command from shell as an ordinary user.
That doesn't matter if someone from portage group can gain root access,
because I'm the only user in that group :).

My linux system has only to users: me and root :-).

Dmitry.