> anyone had this problem before?  in my fstab i have this:
>
>   //jaysdell/mp3  /mnt/jay  smbfs  user,rw,guest,uid=500  0 0
>
> but at boot time it won't mount... even though all my nfs
> shares work just
> fine.
>
> so as a regular user, i tried this:
>
>   (~) $ mount /mnt/jay/
>   INFO: Debug class all level = 2   (pid 3668 from pid 3668)
>   added interface ip=192.168.1.107 bcast=192.168.1.255
> nmask=255.255.255.0
>   cannot mount on /mnt/jay: Operation not permitted
>   smbmnt failed: 1

What did you put in your default runlevel: netmount, nfsmount?  I
don't know the details, but you might look at that.  If I recall well
Gentoo mounts only certain parts from your fstab, depending on the
runlevel config.

Also, what is the mode for /mnt/jay?  Is it 777, or more restricted?
If so, that might explain why it won't mount manually as a user.

Hope any of this helps...

Gwendolyn.