>   The minimal solution for me would be to take a Laptop with Gentoo
>   Installed, merge/unmerge some packages, fine. But IMO the most
>   distinguishing part of Gentoo is its install.

Definately.  The thing to show would be emerge and qpkg.  Emerge rsync
is a bit time-consuming, so I guess that won't work.  But you can
merge and unmerge a package, merge a specific (older) version,
merge -u, etc.

Of course, showing a full Gnome and/or KDE tells people that Gentoo is
not a tiny console based distro, but the real thing.

>   What do you like best on Gentoo? What would you tell/show them?

1. Gentoo gives the power of LFS, but with a lot less hassle.  Do an
LFS once in your life, for educational purposes, and then switch to
Gentoo to keep your sanity.

2. Gentoo has a great community.  You could show your audience the
Gentoo website, the mailing lists and the forums.

Gwendolyn.