Hi Kent,

Welcome to Gentoo, a truly marvelous distro!

> Dear gentoo users,
>
> Is it possible to install from the live cd a stage3
> tar ball then config the sytem to reboot? Without the
> emerges?

The answer to this question is of course yes ;-)!  There are several
solutions to your dilemma.

> I am asking because I got only one pcmcia slot which
> can only attach a cd or a ethernet. The normal
> installation require both the bootable cd and the
> ethernet to work. Also, I have trouble getting the
> emerge work, after chroot, python fail with error that
> libpthread is missing.

The reason you can't get emerge to work once you boot is that you have no
internet connection... since you are booting from the CD and hence don't
have your PCMCIA NIC card in the slot.  During the install you need to
emerge a couple of things such as kernel sources, system logger and a
cron daemon.. these sources do not exist on the install CD and hence
emerge goes looking on the net to download the source.. which is a problem
since you don't have an internet connection.  Here a couple of
suggestions:

1) Download the required sources to your windows partition or a linux
formatted partition when you have your machine running and the NIC card in
the slot.  Then boot the cd, mount the partition in which you downloaded
the source files and copy them over to /usr/portage/distfiles then
continue on with the install from there.

2) When you boot the Live CD you will come to the baby blue splash
screen.. instead of just hitting enter hit F2 to see the options.  One of
hte options is to boot the CD so that you can unmount it after the ramdisk
install.. an option I believe called nocache... so if this the name of the
option you would type:

gentoo nocache

at the boot prompt to boot with this option.  Now you can copy over the
stage 3 tarball to one of your partitions and unmount the CD.  Once you do
this you should be able remove you pcmcia CD and plug in you pcmcia NIC..
and set up networking.

Well this is the best I can do for now.  If you need more assistance, fire
another e-mail to the list and I'll try to help.

Cheers,

Jason