Phil Barnett wrote:
I haven't been able to emerge many things recently and they all appear to hinge around the same type of error.

For example, I tried to emerge the new sun java and it failed with:

tbz2tool: inf.xpak doesn't exist
mv: cannot stat `sun-jdk-1.4.1.03.tbz2': No such file or directory

Done.

!!! CATEGORY info missing from info chunk, aborting...

What is going on here?

Looks to me like some tool that portage uses is misbehaving.

Does anyone know:

What is inf.xpak? Where does it come from?

What is tbz2tool? Where does it come from?

$ type -a tbz2tool tbz2tool is /usr/bin/tbz2tool

$ qpkg -f /usr/bin/tbz2tool
sys-apps/portage *

$ qpkg -l sys-apps/portage | grep xpak
/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/xpak.py
/usr/lib/portage/bin/xpak
/usr/bin/xpak -> ../lib/portage/bin/xpak

$ locate inf.xpak
<nothing>

So I would guess that inf.xpak gets generated when you emerge. That coupled with portage not being able to see 'sun-jdk-1.4.1.03.tbz2' (which I assume is in /usr/portage/distfiles ?), leaves me thinking it's a problem with your filesystem or structure.

Just in case, have you got enough disk space? :)
Failing that, I would:
rm -rf /var/tmp/portage
and:
(back up anything you have modified)