On July 4, 2003 01:46 pm, Mike Wojcikiewicz wrote:
> > i did that, but then if a user creates a directory inside that directory,
> > it has permissions of 755, not 775.  so that only works one level deep.
> >
> > if i could force nfs and to write files with g+w permissions, then i
> > could abandon ssh and just use samba, nfs, and ftp, but i don't think you
> > can do that...
>
> i believe you can just set the sticky bit on the topdir, and all subdirs
> will inherit the same permissions

this was my thinking, but here's what happend

# mkdir directory
# chown nobody.users directory
# exit
$ touch directory/asdf
$ ls -l directory
  -rw-r--r--    1 username   users           0 Jul  4 13:52 asdf

note that "username" still owns the file, not "nobody" dispite the setuid on
the directory.  this does however work with setgid, but since files are
created allowing only the user to write to files, neither of these options
are helpful.

--
love isn't in the brain children.  it's blood
blood screaming inside you to work its will