Stroller wrote:
On 12/7/03 5:35 pm, "Daniel Robbins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 04:27:38PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:

Mandrake and debian (monolithic, no modules) used the 2.4.21 kernel,
against 2.4.20 gentoo-sources with preempt etc (it seems gentoo is
behind here?)

To compare performance, you should use similarly configured kernels. Preempt decreases overall performance significantly but also increases interactivity greatly. Things will benchmark slower with it enabled, like you are experiencing.

I'm sorry - this is really dumb of me to ask: what is "increased
interactivity" in this context..?

Why might preempt be a Good Thing ?, if it decreases performance..?

If your system is under a heavy load, normally everything would move really sluggishly (e.g. mouse cursor, keyboard input, etc.) With preempt, it allows the system to be a bit more interactive during times of heavy load. Its designed much more for a desktop system than a server.

--
Andrew Gaffney