> I've had good luck with Linux software raid arrays.  It's so
> durn easy, I don't see any reason to bother with the low end
> RAID cards.  (The more expensive cards can offer advantages
> not otherwise available.)

Agreed.  I have three systems right now that are fully RAIDed, one a
high use server, a personal server, and my personal workstation, all of
which use software raid, one of which uses a PCI-IDE card (promise
tx-2000 or something) to add the extra channels that are needed.

> I would wonder about a software RAID 5 array, however.  Doesn't
> RAID 5 involve a fairly robust algorithm that might drag the
> processor down a bit?  I don't really know and am somewhat curious
> about this, as I have been considering the same thing on a
> file server.

Not noticably.  The hdparm numbers are a bit lower than say, RAID0
(obviously) but faster than each drive individually.  I haven't noticed
any processor lag on either system I have that uses RAID5.

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net