Hi fellow gentoo fans,

I'm running Gentoo on a Compaq Evo N800C laptop and do have trouble with
the correct way to set up PCMCIA (cardbus) support for my Netgear WLAN
card. I'm running gs-sources, as well as hotplug and linux-wlan-ng.

During startup, hotplug tries to start cardmgr (?) which looks fairly
odd to me. Afterwards pcmcia is supposed to start but finds its resouces
busy because of that already started cardmgr. Therefore pcmcia fails
(and wouldn't call net.wlan0 when a card is inserted) but hotplug
wouldn't call it either.

I've got pcmcia support compiled into the kernel (under general setup ->
PCMCIA/Cardbus support), as well as PCMCIA network device support and
PCMCIA Wireless LAN under Network device support. (The help tells me I'd
have to add corresponding user mode tools like pcmcia-cs to make it
work).

Somehow I've gotten that very same setup to work with
gentoo-sources-2.4.20-r6, but in this case I must not have plugged in
that WLAN card during boot, otherwise my card wouldn't get properly
initialized or the interface be started.

What is the preferred way of getting the card to work? Kernel support?
pcmcia-cs? Linux-wlan-ng? I'd appreciate if you could point me to a
working howto somewhere or give me some assistance. Best regards,

-  Christian

--

Christian Aust
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]