> > Try this:
> >
> > 1) Pull the HD from your old system and shove it in your new one.
> > 2) Fire up your new system with the Gentoo install CD
> > 3) Mount your old partitions under /mnt/gentoo say
> > 4) make a chroot jail like you do when installing
>
> .. at which point, the new Athlon system starts using the P3-optimised
> binaries, and if they don't work, starts segfaulting.  You might as well
> just boot the system directly on the new hardware (compile yourself
> another kernel first ;P ).
>
> > 5) modify make.conf to your liking (athlon-xp CFLAGS and new USE stuff)
> > 6) emerge -ueD world
> > 7) when finished unmount the chroot jail
> > 8) Rebood to your new system.

Ah yes I suppose that is true... at Step 4 then you need to untar a
stage-1 1.4 tarball for Athlon-xp under /mnt/gentoo.  First, see what will
get over-written but I doubt anything that won't be getting wacked soon so
no problem...  also make a backup of /mnt/gentoo/etc, say
/mnt/gentoo/etc2.  Then follow on with instructions.... this also has the
nice effect that all will be compiled with a Athlon-xp comipiled GCC...
just like as if you did a bootstrap.  You won't need to compile a new
kernel as you are still using the Gentoo 1.4 CD kernel.  Does that work
better for you MAL ;-P!

Cheers,

Jason