Hi all

I keep making a mess of recompiling my kernel to use iptables. Apologies in
advance for the basic nature of my ignorance.

First installation of gentoo, used cd's 1 & 2, stage 3 tarball plus the GRP.
Gentoo-sources and genkernel to build the initial kernel. Iptables weren't in
the kernel. iptables package emerged OK.

I've now tried multiple times to enable iptables, using configurations from my
debian and mandrake set-ups which work fine on the same box. I cannot get the
exact same options - can't find CONFIG_NF_NAT_NEEDED anywhere during make
menuconfig on gentoo. That aside, the networking options are identical, the
kernel builds fine (make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make
modules_install) and boots without any obvious problem.

However, modprobe ip_tables gives the errors "unresolved symbol
nf_register_sockopt" and "unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt".

I've googled around but found nothing useful, perhaps because several servers
time out. 3 questions:
1. Is there some obvious option I need to build in here, perhaps the
NF_NAT_NEEDED thing I can't find?
2. Am I missing out some crucial stage in getting the modules inserted?
3. Or what?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Richard