At 23 August, 2003 Mark Huson wrote:
> I recently switched a harddrive that i use to hold data from one gentoo comp
> to another. When i try to mount the harddrive though it gives the standard
> mount error. I then tried to check the partitions and when i try to start
> cfdisk i get "no partition table or unknown signiture on partition table do
> you wish to start with a zero table." I then tried to put the harddrive back
> in its original computer to mount it there and i get the same problem. I
> can't erase my data. I also have a second harddrive that can hold all of the
> data of the bad one if there is a way to copy it over.

The error suggests that the partition table's been corrupted. If you can
remember how the disk was laid out -- what the partitions were, what
order they were in, what types they were, and how big they were -- then
I think there's a way you can rewrite the table. I would guess that you
could probably just re-enter the data in cfdisk or similar, but I'm not
sure. Can anyone back me up on this? (I don't have any spare hard drives
to try this on...)

--
Andrew Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]