Gwendolyn van der Linden wrote:

>>   From some of what I've heard, most parts of Europe have
>>their networks
>>publicly owned still, so within a single country it should be fairly
>>consistent.  No idea on how well that would work travelling between
>>countries, though.
>>

>Phone jacks and 220V plugs are typically different between European
>countries...  IIRC in some cases different countries use the same
>jack, but wire it differently!  You can get a travel kit at a good
>(European?) electronics store, or at an electronics store at an
>airport.
>
>I would expect you can find publically accessible (privately hosted)
>WiFi hotspots at all major European cities.  But, again, regulations
>concerning WiFi are different between European countries.  They differ
>in channels allowed, licensing, and if you are allowed to use it
>outside of a building (as if the radio waves will stop at the
>walls...).
>
>Any Italians or French out on this list?
>
>Gwendolyn.
>

>--

An italian here.
You're right about plug madness, I'm back from a long trip to Amsterdam,
Copenaghen, Stockholm, Helsinki ... and I found my plug converter very
useful. About hotspots I'm not very usefull because of my GPRS internal
modem which works perfectly all around europe at a reasonable speed. In
italy it's quite rare to find free hotspots but you can find some
internet cafè in major cities.
When you are in Verona I'll give you some of our 2Mbit for free (only to
gentoo people of course).
All this because here you can join one of many internet providers for
free and pay just the phone call so internet cafè is not a business
anymore and, you know, italian people doesn't consider a lot all the
services young people travelling have.

Ciao

Andrea

--
"Don't take life to seriously, You'll never get out alive"

Sponsor:
Vi piacerebbe essere in grado di influenzare importanti decisioni di organizzazioni e
governo
dando la vostra opinione? Clicca e partecipa
Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=1725&d=25-8