From: Lionel Laratte [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 6:22 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] auto Emerge world

Very interesting link.  So, I would say that the capabilities are there
and just need to be communicated.  Another person in this thread (Jason
Stubbs, I believe) mentioned something to the effect that packages like
glibc may break stuff if they are updated.  Does this mean that its
developers don't maintain backward compatibility?

Also, just how important is it to upgrade your packages?  I mean, for
example, I just like fooling around with Linux on an old desktop I have
and I installed it on an old laptop (PII-266) to milk more mileage out
it on my train commute to work every day.  Basically, I use e-mail,
Gnumeric, Abiword, a browser and play CDs/MP3s on it.  If it just works
for me, should I be concerned about upgrading these packages whenever a
new version comes along or should I just keep using it while it's
stable?  Just some thoughts.