The version of Perl is 5.8.0-rc-12 and the problem was solved by just running
#emerge XML-Parser
It remains a mystery why the ebuild script wouldn't check whether this is
installed or not and resolve this dependency in case it ain't.
I remember that there were some problems after some heavy changes with perl
and its configuration files. Maybe the problems here are due to those
changes.
Nevertheless, I managed to solve it after running the above mentioned command.

Thanx for your reply.
momesana