On 2003.09.02 10:54, Luke Macken wrote:
/dev/pts is included in /dev file system (CONFIG_DEVFS_FS) in the
2.4.20+ kernel.  For some reason, they dropped support for it in the
2.6 kernel.  The gentoo installation guide assumes use of the 2.4.20
kernel.  Maybe they should make a note of this in the install guide?

The reason was to strip out redundant code. There were two blocks doing the exact same thing, when only one would ever be needed.

Im sure that devpts and devfs overlapped before 2.4.20, as im rather sure the install docs instructed to leave devpts out of the kernel even back around the 1.1a boot cd. I'll try to find my cd to confirm (im pretty sure they had INSTALL on them back then).

--

Chris I

My parents went to Niagara Falls and all I got was this crummy life.