On 2003.09.04 23:42, Doug Weimer wrote:
On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 20:14, Mark Knecht wrote:
<snip>
> QUESTION #1 - Is it a requirement that I need to rebuild xfree each
time
> I build a new kernel? (Time consuming, but done.)

I've never had a problem using X11 after compiling a new kernel, but I
can't say for certain whether or not this is necessary for specific
configurations.

It should be completely unneccessary. xfree-drm is all you would ever need to emerge after rebuilding or switching kernels.

> The problems I'm seeing right now are:
>
> 1) depmod -a produces a large number of errors:
<snip>
> I believe I did:
>
> make dep clean bzImage install modules modules_install

Is the new kernel the same version as your old one? I ask because if
both kernels are version 2.4.20-gentoo-r2 then there may be modules
lying around /lib/modules/2.4.20-gentoo-r2 that you did not configure
into the new kernel. If you are recompiling a kernel it is best to
move
the old module tree out of the way before running 'make
modules_install'.

Shouldnt matter, modules_install obliterates /lib/modules/`uname -r` anyway, which is why you need to remerge xfree-drm, alsa-drivers, nvidia-kernel, and all other such things every time.

--

Chris I

Wagner's music is better than it sounds.
                -- Mark Twain