There seem to have been a couple of threads recently regarding recompilation of kernels & whatnot, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to start a new thread on "what's the best sources?"

I think this has been mentioned in the forums in the past, but I don't read them much. Besides, I'm sure this list can discuss matters better. ;-]

What I'm personally after is the best sources for a headless general-purpose server: all it does is serve mail, DNS & a few webpages, and crunches away in the background at Seti when it's not busy, so it doesn't have to be hardened or anything superlatively special. I would like to upgrade to 2.4.21 for reasons of paranoia, tho', as I'm using 2.4.20 vanilla sources at the moment.

Gentoo-sources are tweaked, as I understand it, for interactivity - switching between applications quickly, like you would on your desktop - so I think that for my server they would give (fractionally) poorer performance. I'd be kinda tempted to try RedHat sources, as I seem to recall hearing they performed well in tests,

Has anyone got any comments or suggestions..?

Stroller.

--
Here's the full list; I `emerge sync`d a couple of days ago:

$ emerge -s sources | grep -E '(sources|available)'
[ Results for search key : sources ]
* sys-kernel/aa-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.22-r1
* sys-kernel/ac-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.22-r1
* sys-kernel/alpha-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.21-r1
* sys-kernel/arm-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.19-r1
* sys-kernel/ck-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.22-r1
* sys-kernel/compaq-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.9.32.7
* sys-kernel/development-sources
Latest version available: 2.6.0_beta5
* sys-kernel/gaming-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.20-r3
* sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.20-r6
* sys-kernel/grsec-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.22.1.9.12
* sys-kernel/gs-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.22_pre2
* sys-kernel/hardened-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.20-r4
* sys-kernel/hppa-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.22_p6
* sys-kernel/hppa-sources-dev [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.21_p10
* sys-kernel/mips-prepatch-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.22_rc2-r1
* sys-kernel/mips-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.22-r1
* sys-kernel/mm-sources
Latest version available: 2.6.0_beta4-r6
* sys-kernel/mosix-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.20
* sys-kernel/openmosix-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.22
* sys-kernel/pfeifer-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.20.1_pre11
* sys-kernel/ppc-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.21-r2
* sys-kernel/ppc-sources-benh [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.22-r2
* sys-kernel/ppc-sources-crypto [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.20
* sys-kernel/ppc-sources-dev [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.21
* sys-kernel/redhat-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.20.2.48-r1
* sys-kernel/rsbac-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.20
* sys-kernel/selinux-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.21
* sys-kernel/sparc-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.22
* sys-kernel/usermode-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.21
* sys-kernel/vanilla-prepatch-sources [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 2.4.23_pre3
* sys-kernel/vanilla-sources
Latest version available: 2.4.22
* sys-kernel/win4lin-sources