I have re-emerged cups, ghostscript, hpijs and gimp-print but still
cannot get my printer working again. I believe that the problem
started at the last cups update. (somewhere around 8/4/03) It is a
USB HP deskjet 932 and worked fine until then. After re-emerging the
above apps, I attempted to restart cups and got the !! next to
"stopping cupsd" So, I rebooted. during the boot sequence, I saw the
following message:

starting cupsd                                                    [OK]
cupsd: Child exited with status 99!

# cupsdconf    [returns]

Unable to retrieve configuration file from the CUPS server. You
probably don't have the access permissions to perform this operation.

opening the printer section of the KDE Control Center gives the
following error in a pop up window:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from
manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is
correctly installed and running. Error: connection refused.

I can't get into the web based cups page either. typing MRK:631 in a
browser takes me to some arbitrary web page on the outside, though
Ernie:631 on the other box works. It looks like I have something
messed up somewhere but I can't figure it out. Anyone have an idea?

--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free