On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 10:56, Collins Richey wrote:
> I finally got my souncard ens1371 to work reliably with 2.6.0 (see prior
> thread), but I get an error at boot time when alsasound starts.  Executing
> /usr/sbin/alsactl says that it can't find a device it needs (unfortunately the
> actual messge is not logged anywhere).  If I stop and restart alsasound, I don't
> see the message (it may have been suppressed?).
>
> Is anyone familiar with this?  What does alsactl do?  Is it really needed?

man alsactl:

NAME
       alsactl - advanced controls for ALSA soundcard driver

SYNOPSIS
       alsactl [options] [store|restore] <card # or id>

DESCRIPTION
       alsactl  is  used  to  control advanced settings for
the ALSA soundcard drivers. It supports multiple soundcards. If  your
card  has  features that  you can't seem to control from a mixer
application, you have come to the right place.

Collins,
   I'm not totally sure, but some Alsa applications, like alsamixer,
actually do not work with all Alsa device, such as my RME HDSP 9652. I
don't think that this message is necessarily a problem.

   alsactl is supposed to store your mixer settings when you shut down
and restore them when you power back up. It's used in the Alsa scripts
somewhere. It doesn't work on my system because my driver doesn't export
the information required. (My card has a more specialized mixer.)

   You might want to look in the Alsa-User archives for more info on
this or your card, and alsa look at look at the Alsa page for your card.

   Or, this could be a 2.6 issue that hasn't been addressed yet.

Good luck,
Mark