On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 11:12 -0800, Ian Truelsen wrote:
> I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but I am doing something wrong.
>
> I am trying to setup apache2, but I cannot get access from outside my
> machine. I have it set to listen on port 8000 and have that forwarded
> from my router, however, I can only connect to the server locally and
> only by specifying 127.0.0.1:8000. Outside of the machine, all I get is
> connection refused.
>
> I have this in my apache2.conf
>
> ###
> ### IP Address/Port
> ###
> #BindAddress *
> Listen 8000
>
> ServerRoot /usr/lib/apache2
> ServerName dark-lord
> #LockFile /etc/apache2/apache2.lock
> PidFile /var/run/apache2.pid
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error_log
> LogLevel warn
> DocumentRoot /var/www/localhost/htdocs

Let's make sure it's actually listening on something other than
127.0.0.1.

as root: netstat -anp | grep :8000

Also note that if you are using a non-business ISP, it is common for
them to prohibit servers, and block inbound ports that are common for
this kind of thing. you might want to try something more random like
3874 or something.