On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Bo Grimes wrote:

Right now I have Linux on hdb3 and Windows 98 on hda1 with a FAT32 partition for Windows apps on hdb1. HDB2 is swap. I want to keep the 6 gig hda1 with Windows just for a few educational games my kids still use that wouldn't run on XP, but I want to use hdb1 for Gentoo.

This will work fine, grub can handle plenty of multiboot situations.

I have never put two versions of Linux on one computer. I want to keep hdb3 for my use while installing Gentoo on hdb1. Is this do-able? Are there any pitfalls to watch out for?

Well, one obvious pitfall is accidentally formatting the wrong partition (guilty of that ONCE, and ONCE only) =)

In my time of using linux, I've found the easiest way to multiboot different distributions is to share a common /boot between them all, where you put all your kernels into that partition, and have a single grub.conf for everything (Which can be managed from any of the distributions).

In my ideal partition scheme for multiple distros on hdb, with windows on hda I would have the following partition scheme:

Grub installed on the MBR of hda
hda1 is a windows partition
hdb1 /boot
hdb2 SWAP
hdb3 / for distro 1
hdb4 / for distro 2

Note that you can setup extended partitions if you want to break out /home and share that between distro's.

your grub.conf would be similar to:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=distro1
root (hd1,0)
kernel /distro1-2.6.10 root=/dev/hdb3

title=distro2
root (hd1,0)
kernel /distro2-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hdb4

title=Windows
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

This method will scale up to as many drives and distro's as you can toss into the machine.

Hope this gets you on your way,