When I'm logged on as a user, and I try to open gvim or firefox by
su'ing or sudo'ing as root, I get the following error.

E233: cannot open display

I used to be able to do this, but there was a tightening of security
at some point, and now I cannot. I am using xfce4.

Is there some sort of workaround? Currently, I have to log off as
user, and log in as root. The only reason I normally have to do either
of these things is to change certain settings in firefox, or when I am
copying some code from the internet into a file. The copy operation
works nicely with gvim, but gets messed up in vim.

Alternately, is there some way of copying nicely into vim from code I
find on the internet.

Thanks in advance

Bill Roberts