I am having various major problems, summed up basically by the fact I
get unrepeatable segfaults left and right. It's gotten to the point
where it is not possible to merge medium to large software.

Now, I already suspect my hardware. However I'd like to rebuild my
entire toolchain, because I used insane CFLAGS from stage1. I've since
backed off to near-default CFLAGS. I've tried this through portage the
following way:

emerge linux-headers && emerge linux-headers glibc && emerge glibc
binutils gcc && emerge binutils gcc && emerge -e system && emerge -e
system

Now I don't know if that's the correct way, but a user on #gentoo told
me this and many agreed. I have tried, however when I hit glibc the
first time I run into unrepeatable segfaults, and I can't move on.

So from what I hear, avenj has rescue bins for all the toolchain
components. I'm nervous about this as I realize it's a critical portion
of Gentoo.

How do I go about this safely? What do I need to know? Is there another
way to approach this, other than the obvious "reinstall"?

Thanks!

-