Quoting Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

You might try playing with some of the QoS and rate-limiting features in
the kernel.  It seems to me that if you are indeed running into some
kind of TCP/IP rate control problem in the kernel, that limiting the
rsync bandwidth to say 50% of maximum might resolve the problem.

That gives me an idea. Rsync has it's own built in bandwidth limiting ( --bwlimit I think ), I'll tone that down and see what happens.

Currently they're connected via LAN, but for other testing, they were connected
via a T1 WAN, and I never saw this happen on the WAN link...