tar does have one drawback that may or nay not matter to you -- it needs somewhere to put the tarball. The obvious answer is to put it on your new, blank, drive.

However,
cp -dpRa /* /mnt/<newdrive>
-does- do the job properly; it complains that it is skipping the recursive copy of /mnt/<newdrive>, and gets it done.

As for speed, I've used both techniques, and I think the above cp is faster, but I could be wrong... YMMV.

And if you have a separate /boot partition, that probably needs to be copied as a whole partition, not a system full of files (in my experience).

Best,
rgh.