> [OT] A note about ALSA.
> ALSA disappionted me greatly. A week ago I moved my home
> server to a new box, intel i810 mainboard video,audio
> integrated. When trying to get the integrated crappy AC97
> to work ALSA produced terrible noise. The sound card was
> TOTALLY unusable. After moving back to OSS, card runs
> smoothly, no noise, nothing!

Maybe ALSA cannot handle this card, maybe it was simply a
misconfiguration.

When running 2.6 kernels, I'd like to recommend to disable all
OSS stuff in the kernel before using ALSA.

Then a first try can be to run alsaconf.

OTOH, on a server I guess it's really OK to use OSS if it
works.

 Best regards

    ce