Christian Parpart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We (the gentoo apache team) is about to go stable. That is, marking current
> testing-marked ebuilds as stable. This time, it's not just another revision
> number changed, it's totally different behind. So, please take this serious.
>
> If you test any of the below ebuilds, please give us feedback, we rely on you.

Well then, here's mine ;-)
Below are some more details, but I can say this in short: The new ebuilds
are working okay and thanks to the apache-herd for taking the efforts to
rebuild the installation-layout.

> The following base ebuilds are to test:
> * =net-www/apache-2.0.53
> * =net-www/apache-1.3.33-r1
> * =dev-php/mod_php-4.3.10-r1
> * =dev-util/subversion-1.1.4-r1

I'm currently running apache-2.0.52-r3 on my home-server and I must say that
the "new" format of apache's configuration files alone is a good reason to
have this done. I've ran apache on redhat before and I was not very happy
about gentoo's idea of apache's configuration-layout.
Furthermore the fixed large file support was the main reason why I've
changed from stable to testing.

I'm also currently using mod_php-4.3.10-r1 with a "manual" installation of
Horde-3.x/IMP as a webmail-solution and had as yet no problems so far.

Then there's my installation of subversion-1.1.3-r1. It serves some small
repositories via its own protocol and via mod_dav_svn/mod_authz_svn. I can
not say anything other than "it works".

Update to apache-2.0.53 and subversion-1.1.4-r1 is in progress.

> The following ebuilds are new depencdencies and of HIGH priority:
> * =dev-libs/apr-0.9.6-r1
> * =dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.6

Well, I'll test these on my workstation with a local apache-installation,
which eclipse needs for webdevelopment (okay, that's _not_ what I think is a
good thing, but PHPEclipse requires it, and I haven't installed that via
portage).

> If you feel lucky (and we bed you are) test this one:
> * =dev-libs/apr-0.9.6-r2

If apr-0.9.6-r1 works, maybe I'll test this, too.

There's just one thing - Is it necessary for apache-2.0.53.ebuild, to fiddle
with /var/www/? On my workstation this is imported via NFS without
root_squash so it keeps the ebuild from being merged until I unmount it.
Autoclean has then removed the directory (it was empty). I'd think, that it
would suffice to have gentoo-webroot-default creating and/or deleting
/var/www/, depending on its USE-Flag setting. With "hands off" active if
no-htdocs is set (Well, I can file a bug about this ;) ).

Regards,
Felix Tiede