Mark Brier wrote:

> Quoting Grant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Hello, my host doesn't seem to be available for reboots on the
>> weekends so I'm going to switch to a company that is.  I'm looking at
>> these machines:
>

> Why do you need someone on hand to reboot? I have a ded server (with
> ctn1, good
> deals, check them out), and I reboot it over ssh all the time. Just
> make sure
> you have sshd and your firewall etc in the runlevels.
>
> [ot]One good way of testing a new kernel in my experience, is to use
> the lilo
> once-only option (see the manpage) and also schedule a cronjob to
> reboot after
> a certain period of time. If the server reboots correctly, just make
> sure to
> remove the cronjob![/ot]

Grub does similar to this, see http://www.gentoo-wiki.com - one problem
with teh cronjob, that requires teh new kernel to successfully boot and
enter teh default run level with cron in it doens' t it? Not much use if
the kernel burps at the first stage (yes, i've had it happen to me -
lucky i was only 10 mins away from it)

Tim