Ow Mun Heng wrote:
dir_index
        Use hashed b-trees to speed up lookups in large directories.

Can you explain to me this feature? It's the first I've heard of it.

I'm not an expert or guru, but I'll sure try. From what I understand, the
filesystem normally stores the block and inode information in a very linear
fashion. When you enable this feature, this information is then stored in a hashed B-tree [1] so that the information can be accessed and manipulated
faster. However, as far as I know this does incur a small storage penalty for
storing the extra node structure information.

Hope that helps. :-/

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-tree
--
()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
/\  vCards, and proprietary formats.