Botykai Zsolt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tuesday 12 April 2005 18.28-n, Eamon Caddigan ezt írta:
>> Hey all, I'm looking for recommendations for an application to manage
>> all the music on my fileserver, perhaps through a web interface. I have
>> a reasonably large library (>100k files), and manually organizing
>> everything is needlessly tedious.
>> I'm not interested in playing music (it wouldn't be a problem if the
>> functionality is there, but it's not a priority), just manipulating
>> files and metadata through a database-like interface.
>
> http://opendb.i-am-vegan.net/ allows you to catalog medias, but don't let you
> manipulate those file.

That's neat, but not quite what I had in mind. I'm envisioning something
not too different than iTunes, without the playing/ripping/burning/iTMS
parts.

I'm sure I could just create a database with paths to files and the
metadata I'm interested in; write some code to keep the DB in sync with
the library; and use something like phpMyAdmin to edit and view the info
over the web. However, I'm sure any existing project will be nicer than
whatever I kludge together myself

> But as it is a fileserver (maybe) you can mount those dirs then
> easytag to tag those files and bash/mc to move/copy/delete them?

That's pretty much what I'm doing now, which I'm trying to move away
from.

I've seen a couple linux-based jukeboxes that integrate file management
and music playback (e.g., slimserver, mdb). I'd be willing to use one of
those as long as the file management aspect is sufficiently strong. Can
anyone vouch for one of those? Is there any better way to manage a large
music library that I haven't even imagined yet?

-Eamon