Thanks,

now I have "samba" and "cups" in my USE flags in make.conf. The link was
made by emerge when I emerged samba.

Still no go. Will I have to ``emerge --newuse''? (That would be more a
task for weekend-computing).

BTW: The printer is a Canon iR2270, which is reported to work with a PCL
driver found and setup during 5 minutes on Debian. Where are these
drivers on Gentoo? Will they show up after ``emerge --newuse'' amongst
the Ghostscript, GimpPrint, ... drivers?

Frank