Mark, been busy, & I'm in WhinedoZZZe again right now, but I'll check what I got when I next get into Linux & post it back to you.
rgh.

Mark Knecht wrote:

On 4/20/05, Robert G. Hays <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thought: what about setting the address, gateway, etc, to be the same as
when the box runs FC?   Not hard, and should guarantee connection since
the nic & the router managed before.  I'm sure some of us out hee could
step you through this if you are willing & need help (I don't remember
if you said your skil-level, although I am assuming that you probably do
not need help for such a triviality).

best,
rgh.

Robert, I was wondering about that over lunch. Do you mean just using route commands somewhere (where actually?) and setting up routes that say what wlan0's address and the default gateway are?

  If so where would I put those??? My skills on a scale of 1-10 are
probably unmeasurably low. I can imagine putting some route commands
someplace like /etc/conf.d/local./start. Is that the right place?
(Assuming this is even what you meant!) If it is I think I should be
able to test that idea by hand.

  I don't know how to test this idea though. For kicks I made up a
device called wlan1 and (with no /etc/inid.d/net.wlan1 file and no
wlan1 entries in the net config file) tried to make some routes:

dragonfly ~ # route add -net 192.168.9.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev wlan1
SIOCADDRT: No such device
dragonfly ~ #

I presume that if wlan1 existed I'd be telling the system to route
everything destined to the bus 192.168.9.X through wlan1, correct?
Anyway, it didn't work.

Would it work if I copied net.wlan0 to net.wlan1 and added wlan1
entries in /etc/conf.d/net??????

Thanks,
Mark