I've looked at that - the "Monitor" section in my xorg.conf looks like this:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Dell"
        HorizSync    31.0 - 54.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
EndSection

In other words, it allows a VertRefresh rate of up to 120.  I looked
at the Dell specs.  It still does not do 87 by default.