On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 01:22:25AM -0400, Colin wrote:
> But it just hangs on this one:
>
> * Saving random seed...
>
> I can Ctrl-C my way out of it and continue to work in Gentoo, but a
> software shutdown isn't possible.  I just reboot, enter the BIOS and
> hold the switch.  What can I do about this little bug?  And is there
> even any purpose in loading and saving a random seed when random
> numbers are (AFAIK) seeded by the timer?

man urandom:

       The  random  number  generator  gathers environmental noise from device
       drivers and other sources into an entropy  pool.   The  generator  also
       keeps  an  estimate of the number of bits of noise in the entropy pool.
       From this entropy pool random numbers are created.

       When a Linux system starts up without much  operator  interaction,  the
       entropy  pool  may  be in a fairly predictable state.  This reduces the
       actual amount of noise in the entropy  pool  below  the  estimate.   In
       order  to counteract this effect, it helps to carry entropy pool infor-
       mation across shut-downs and start-ups.

I guess you can remove urandom from boot runlevel
 # rc-update del urandom
or, you can try to troubleshoot the problem (=

The shutdown section of /etc/init.d/urandom is pretty much one line on
my system:

        dd if=/dev/urandom of=/var/run/random-seed count=1 &> /dev/null

You can try seeing what's wrong with that...

*   Address:  45 Spelman Hall, Princeton University  08544     *
*     Phone:  x68958                  AIM:  AngularJerk        *
*    E-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]    From:  sep.dynalias.net   *