On Thursday 28 April 2005 20:20, Tamas Sarga wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to do an emerge -e world. It would take 3 days, but I can't
> sleep next to my machine, 'cause of the sound of the 7000RPM CPU cooler.
> If I start an emerge, then C-c it, shutdown, start the PC at morning,
> can I resume the emerge -e?

Sure. emerge --resume. --resume functionality is planned to be improved in the
future. However, at the moment emerging something else will kill the record
of the previous emerge. I usually do a quick manual loop for it like this:

# emerge -ep world | grep ebuild | awk '{print "="substr($0, 17)}' > world
# for x in $(<world); do emerge --oneshot $x && grep -v $x world > world2 &&
mv world2 world || break; done

The second and third lines are one line.

This allows me to stop and emerge something else first if I want to. If
something fails, it also means that I can play around with it until it is
merged without having to use --resume every time. Or you could remove the
"|| break" and have it continue on regardless of failures and you'll have a
list of problems at the end.

Regards,
Jason Stubbs